Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gotcha!!!!!

I know everyone was probably anxious to see pictures of Maggie yesterday, but it was a busy day, so the anticipation is now over and I am posting pictures. Yesterday was a day I will never forget and probably one of the 2 best days of my life. I am now a father, and Barbara is now a mother again. The day started normally. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant, it is a buffet with some western food. We then went to Walmart and to lunch at Kentucky Fried Chicken. The food was actually not bad. After lunch we came back to the hotel to rest for our big event. The bus picked us up at 3 PM and we traveled to the registration office with the other two couples in our group. We waited anxiously to see our daughter. It took quite a while for things to get organized. To our pleasant surprise, we were presented with a number of updated pictures of Maggie that her nanny and orphanage director brought for us. We were able to look at them while we waited. After about three families from other agencies received their children, our name was announced next. I was as nervous as I was just before I got married, as was Barbara. This journey has taken so long, that it didn't seem real that this day had actually arrived. Maggie was not happy at first. She didn't want to leave her nanny, and cried loudly the whole time we were at the registration office. Our first family photo has me and Barbara smiling and Maggie crying. It will be cherished nonetheless. (I don't have a copy of the picture to post - it was taken for some of the paperwork we completed today). Maggie cried the whole time we were there, the ride back to the hotel, and a little while after we returned to the room. After we arrived in the room, Barbara held her while I began to play with her toys. She slowly began crying less and was looking at me curiously and she suddenly loosened up and joined me. It was an amazing feeling. She actually smiled!! After playing for a little while we went to a resaurant next to the hotel with one of the other families in the hotel and our facilitator. Maggie ate more than I did. I ordered steak with pepper sauce - it wasn't very good. I ate Barbara's fried rice which I mistakenly got with pork, so she didn't eat it. Barbara had a cereal bar and some peanot butter. (I forgot to add - before going to dinner, Maggie also had a cereal bar). Maggie also helped with the rice along with the other family's noodles. She was so good during the meal and the time prior. Maggie is bigger than we thought. I am definitely out of shape as I get tired holding her. I haven't weighed her yet but will soon. I was afraid she wouldn't fit into any of the clothes we had for her, but luckily she can wear both 24 months and 2t clothing. She is potty trained and we found out today does not drink from a bottle (she drinks milk formula from a cup or bowl). We tried to feed her formula last night through the bottle, but she was unable to drink much - now we know why(I think this may have something to do with her cleft palate as she may not get good suction). After we arrived back in the hotel room from supper, Maggie took a bath. She would not however, sit in the tub. She stood up and crouched to pick up her toys. She did not complain at all. After bath time we found that Maggie was very ticklish. We played and laughed until bedtime. We were told that she goes to bed at 9 PM and wakes up at 6:30 AM. We went to bed right at 9:00 and she was asleep by 9:01. She slept in the crib with her baby doll and blanket. At 7:30 Am this morning we had to wake her up as we had more appointments today. I will cover today's events in the next post. Remember, I can't view the blog, so I hope everything is coming through. I will attach as many pictures as I can to this one. We wish we were coming home tomorrow. I could probably write forever, but want to get done before she wakes up form her nap.

No comments: